Cornwall Economic Development Commission
EDC Minutes 12/22/20 @ 7:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order at 7:33 pm. In attendance was: Janet Carlson, Priscilla Pavel, Dee
Salomon, Kate Ward, Bianca Griggs, Lee Pryor, Arnon Fisher, Gordon Ridgeway
● No minutes to review as there was no meeting in November
● Dick Sawyer and Todd Piker are rolling off the EDC. There are new people who want to join EDC
and they will be sending resumes for discussion in January
● Kate – Treasurer’s Report:
○ $5,100 is planned to spend
○ Updated budget for 2021 is $5195.00
○ Budget item to discuss in new business later
● Gordon – P&Z, Water & Septic:
○ Planning to start committee meetings in January
○ Spring referendum for the town
○ Got word that USDA looking like a grant for 45% of project
○ EDC to help with presentation
○ P+Z: implementation of town plan. Passed a housing initiative to allow home owners to split
off up to 2 plots as long as over an acre for affordable housing.
○ Cornwall allows home-based businesses; big gain for the town. Janelle has reworked regulations
to make them more user friendly. In Jan P+Z has town forum. Seen more people participating and
comment on issues facing the town. Future facing.
○ Town has to have a housing plan by 2022. What is the current housing stock. Housing study group
to work with Janelle.
○ The holiday window decoration has had phenomenal response- lots of traffic on the street.
Lakeville journal had a story about The Local and the windows.
○ Bill sent expenses – will need to move budget around to fund as was over budget by $600
– Motion to approve additional $600 for the holiday expenses. Bianca made motion, Kate
seconded. Motion carried.
○ Opening of The Local. Dee discussed the success of The Local.
○ Still need to edit and augment some things in Explore Cornwall website
● Unfinished Business
○ The group will focus on chosen priorities, which are as follows:
○ Develop and carry out a Buy/Hire Local campaign (Winter, coinciding with Farmer’s Collective),
while supporting the Explore Cornwall site, encompassing the year-round Farmer’s Market. (Janet,
○ Support the community hub with a speaker series (Kate/Simon) when the Union reopens (Zoom?).
– 1st presentation in November. Was on PPP loans.
– Next one about starting a business in Cornwall. Will be in January
○ Improve connectivity in Cornwall via cell and fiber (Janet/Arnon/Lee)
○ Beginning to engage with public with a website page that has updates
– Buy/Hire Local – $500.00 page on Explore Cornwall, social
media campaign, flyers
– Explore Cornwall Site – $1,000.00 annual fee paid to Civic Lift
– Social media campaign, Round 2 on “Consider Cornwall” –
– Support year round Farmer’s Market (Farmer’s Collective)
$1,400 toward refrigerator, freezer, $400 merchandising
– Business speaking series – $200.00
– Interns for social media support on Explore Cornwall –
– Holiday promotions – $300.00 decorations, social media promotion
● Next meeting is January 26, 2021
● Motion to end meeting and seconded