The Northwest Corner Prevention Network (NCPN), in accordance with the CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), has developed a PSA Challenge for local students with a focus on anti-vaping. The challenge is open to middle school students in the Housatonic Valley Regional School District—Kent, Sharon, Salisbury, North Canaan, Falls Village, Cornwall. The challenge will be open for submissions beginning on April 1, 2021.
Students who wish to participate in the PSA challenge will be tasked with creating a virtual PSA with an anti-vaping message. Submissions can be from teams (maximum of 4 students) or individuals. The PSA can take the form of a video, Tik Tok, virtual poster, music video, etc. Entries will be accepted contingent on their compliance to the challenge’s rules and regulations. Students interested in this PSA challenge can submit their entries on the following website: https://www.ncpncoalition.org. One submission will be chosen as a winner from each of the six middle schools. The winning teams or individuals will receive $50 Amazon gift cards for each team member.
- Each PSA must contain an anti-vaping message. The message must be either strongly inferred or explicitly stated in the PSA
- Submissions created on social media may be posted to social media, however this does not count as an official entry
- Social media postings must be done with the consent of all involved group members
- Students must respect school rules in the creation of their PSAs
- Students may not use profanity in their submissions, students must comply by COVID-19 guidelines, students may not use or show vaping products in the creation of their PSAs
- All sources and images used for submissions must be documented in a bibliography. If students do not use any outside sources, then a bibliography is not required
- All students on a given project must give their written consent to have their submissions posted on a public forum
Eligibility and Limitations
- Participating students must be enrolled in grades 5, 6, 7, or 8 in Kent, Sharon, Salisbury, North Canaan, Falls Village, or Cornwall Middle School
- Team submissions may include no more than 4 members
- Each student is only allowed one submission (whether it be in a group or as an individual)
- All submissions must adhere to the statements of ethics
- All submissions must be viewed or be able to presented in 5 minutes or less